A bit of history:
Raleigh was carved out of an oak forest on 1,000 acres of land, purchased from Wake County plantation owner, Joel Lane. Created as one of America's earliest planned cities, the city was established in 1792 as the permanent seat of government for the state of North Carolina.
So, come discover the "City of Oaks," from its Civil War history to its role as the capitol of North Carolina. You'll learn all about what makes this city so fascinating!
Highlights of this 2½ hour driving tour:
- The North Carolina State Capitol, Fayetteville Street, Memorial Auditorium (Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts)
- Shaw University, Peace College, St. Augustine’s College, Meredith College, St. Mary’s School, North Carolina State University
- Historic Districts of Oakwood, Hayes – Barton, Five Points, Mordecai and Boylan Heights including Moore Square
- The Entertainment Districts, Glenwood South, City Market and Warehouse Districts & Five Points.
- The North End, Capitol Park, Village at Pilots Mill, Seaboard Warehouses
- The Central Business District (CBD), JC Raulston Arboretum and Pullen Park
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes, tickets must be purchased in advance. Tours often sell out so we suggest purchasing your tickets early to guarantee your desired tour day. You can buy your tickets either online or by phone with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Is the tour suitable for children? What type of ticket should I purchase for a very young child?
- The tour is appropriate for kids of all ages, but please note that this is a 2 ½ hour history tour, so you will want to keep your child's attention span in mind. Children ages 8 to 14 will have a reduced-price ticket. Children under 8 can attend free of charge, but you must bring your own car seat and be able to install it in our van.
- Where does the tour take place?
- On the tour, you'll get to explore diverse neighborhoods throughout Raleigh - areas that showcase Raleigh’s rich historical roots, as well as areas that have dramatically changed face. The State Capitol, Fayetteville Street, City Market and NC State University are just seem of the sights you will see! Your guide will be introducing you to some of the history and culture of the area.
- Do we go inside any buildings?
- We do not go inside any of the buildings we see on the tour. However, you may be able to return and explore your favorite locations at another time!
- Does the tour start and end at the same place?
- The tour begins and ends at the same location. Further meeting location details and information about parking will be provided after you purchase tickets.
- What about inclement weather?
- Tours will run rain or shine. We ask that you check the weather forecast and dress accordingly if inclement weather is predicted, since we will get out of the vehicle a few times throughout the tour.
- Will we stop along the way?
- Yes, there will be 2 to 3 stops along the tour for attractions and photo opportunities.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- Yes. Bathrooms will be available at our stopping locations.
- Will locals enjoy the tour as well or is it mostly for tourists?
- Absolutely! While you may be familiar with our route and some of the stops, you will also have the opportunity to discover new things about the wonderful town/city/neighborhood you live in! Additionally, this tour is an excellent way to entertain out-of-town guests, celebrate a special occasion or encourage professional team building.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, at the moment we can only offer tours in English, but you are welcome to arrange for an interpreter. Please note that if you are accompanied by an interpreter, they will need a full priced ticket.
- Is there anywhere to buy food or drinks along the way? Can I bring my own?
- We will provide you with a bottle of chilled water. While no other food or drinks are included in the ticket price, feel free to eat beforehand or pack light snacks and drinks. Food and drinks will not be available for purchase along the way.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes, cameras are permitted and we encourage you to take photos!
- Does the tour guide accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are not included in the ticket price. While not required, tips are accepted and always appreciated by the tour guides.
- Is the tour wheelchair and stroller accessible?
- No, this tour is not wheelchair or stroller accessible.
- Is there public parking available nearby?
- Yes. Free parking is available at the meeting location.
- What kind of vehicle will be used?
- We will use a comfortable 15 passenger van.
- Is the vehicle air conditioned?
- Yes, all of our vehicles are air conditioned and kept a comfortable temperature. There is also a PA system on board.
- Can we shop during the tour?
- It is important that we stay on schedule, so please refrain from shopping during the tour.
- Are dogs/pets allowed on the tour?
- All pets, with the exception of trained service dogs, are prohibited on the tour.
- Is smoking allowed on the tour?
- No, smoking is not permitted on the tour.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available for purchase and make great gifts for family and friends. If you have any questions about purchasing or redeeming gift certificates, please click on the “Contact TobaccoRoad” link on the left side of this page.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes, a private tour option is available! You pick the date and time for your special occasion or group as we work around your schedule. To inquire about booking a private tour, please click on the “Contact TobaccoRoad” link on the left of this page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Pictures and video may be taken during the tour.
- During the tour, your guide may take pictures and video that we may later use on our website or for marketing or social media purposes. Please let your guide know at the beginning of your tour if you do not wish to be included in any pictures or videos.
Tobacco Road Tours
As the Triangle area’s only full service tour operator, including event & meeting planning, group tours and daily professionally guided motorized and walking tours, Tobacco Road Tours has a commitment to sharing the traditions from North Carolinians before us, which inspires the creation for each of our tours. Whether you are traveling with us through historic Durham or Raleigh, or exploring the area's history on one of our tours, North Carolina’s Piedmont region provides an adventure that cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
Along with our dedication to sharing what North Carolina’s Piedmont region has to offer, we are committed to our values. Caring for our guests is always our number one priority. We make sure that our tours meet and exceed your expectations by offering quality tours packed with interesting history, fun facts, and an experience you will never forget.
Every tour is an extravaganza, complete with laughter, time honored stories and FUN. Grab a group of friends and join us!