The Harlem Safe House Jazz Parlor is artistically directed by Craig Harris, a trombonist, composer and longtime Harlem resident. When Craig Harris exploded onto the jazz scene in 1976, he brought the entire history of the jazz trombone with him. From the growling gutbucket intensity of early New Orleans music to the refined, articulate improvisation of the modern era set forth by J.J. Johnson and into the confrontational expressionism of the ‘60s avant-garde, Craig handled the total vernacular the way a skilled orator utilizes the spoken word. He has performed with a variety of progressive jazz’s most influential figures, and his projects display both a unique sense of concept and a total command of the sweeping expanse of musical expression.
It is those two qualities that have dominated Craig’s past 30 years of activity, bringing him far beyond the confines of the jazz world, into the sphere of multimedia and performance art as composer, performer, curator and artistic director.
Included in this 2 hour experience is a live Jazz concert, as well as hors d’oeuvres, wine and dessert.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Do this; You'll love it!
|Lilsmos||Thu, Nov 5, 15 8:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
First, it's all about the music--and Kelvyn Bell and his quartet were so alive and energized, we loved it. Second, it's about the people who put this together. Diana and her husband wanted to offer an alternative to clubs, so they offered their lovely brownstone in Harlem as the venue. Everyone was so warm and welcoming and the food and beverages a testimony to Harlem hospitality. Plus, it was an amazingly intimate and diverse musical experience. Set up in the living room, only 10 or so chairs--the man next to me had just flown in from London and wouldn't miss it.You shouldn't either. Finally, but perhaps most importantly, was Carolyn's guidance from the Welcome to Harlem website where we found the event. Carolyn helped us with directions and personal communication and even met us at the door! Without her we probably wouldn't have done it. Thanks Caroline for a great evening.
|FrancescaIsa||Thu, Nov 5, 15 8:00 PM||Female||40-49||Combination||Individual|
What a fantastic experience! Amazing music, nice and careful hosts, good food, beautiful house in a lovely neiborhood! You get to meet great musicians (jazzmen who are touring the world with the greatests), and other music lovers in a beautiful intimate setting. I warmly recommend it!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Advance purchase of tickets is highly recommended, and the event does sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets may also be purchased at our office the day of the event, however you must call in advance to confirm there is space.
- What happens if it rains?
- We do everything we can to still hold our events and cancellations are very rare. Expect the event to continue unless the weather is severe, which includes snow and dangerous storms.
- Are children allowed to attend?
- No, due to the limited capacity and nature of the event, we limit this experience to those 18 and over.
- How much food is served?
- You will likely not come away hungry! We serve a variety of different foods depending on the month. This might include ribs, chicken, a cheese plate, along with a special dessert!
- Are cameras allowed during the event?
- Yes, you are welcome to film or photograph the event. We do ask that if you get any awesome photos, please share them with us on social media!
- Are bathrooms available during the event?
- Yes, there will always be a restroom available during the event.
- Is there parking nearby the meeting point?
- Yes, there is plenty of parking options around the meeting location, as well as public transit options to the meeting location.
- Is the event offered only in English?
- Does music have a language? We are sure that those of us that speak all languages will enjoy the music. However, most if not all people present will be speaking English.
- Do you offer group rates?
- Yes, we do offer group discounts for large groups. If the group is larger than 10 people, there is a discount for $5 per person.
- I have a coupon code. How do I use it?
- Each coupon code has specific guidelines for use. Some may be for specific types of tickets/tours, and other may be for limited time frames. If you find you are having difficulty using a coupon code online, please contact us via phone.
- Is the event wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- This event takes place in personal homes, not all of which have been outfitted to accommodate those with limited mobility. If you would like to attend but unsure if you can climb the amount of stairs necessary (if applicable) please contact us via the "Contact HarlemTours" link.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Gift Certificates are available, and are a fantastic gift for many different occasions! If you are interested in buying or redeeming a gift certificate, please contact us via the "Contact HarlemTours" link.
- Can I book a private/customized tour?
- Absolutely! We offer private and customized tours for groups. Learn more about our private tours by clicking on the "Contact HarlemTours" link to the left of the page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a full refund.
- All participants must meet the age requirement.
- This event is limited to those who are 18 and over. To drink wine, you must be 21 years old or older and bring a valid, government-issued ID.
Welcome to Harlem
We open your eyes and ears to the rich history and cultural diversity of Harlem through music, dance, theatre, shopping and dining. We also collaborate with local businesses and organizations to bring special events to you and the Harlem community. We even provide custom tours, educational tours, music programs and workshops…no group is too big or small. If you take away one thing about Welcome to Harlem, it should be that we LOVE Harlem and are VERY PROUD of our neighborhood. There is so much to learn about Harlem and we are here to help you!