This trip is fully narrated offshore adventure and provides fascinating, educational insights. In addition to the whales, sightings of Sea Lions, Otters and other marine life are common, so be sure to bring your camera!
On this fully narrated tour, you'll enjoy:
- May through November: The Humpback Whales frequent the Monterey Bay as their feeding grounds.
- Climb aboard and join us as we search the bay sanctuary for a variety of marine mammals including: Humpback Whales, Blue Whales, Dolphins, Sea Otters, Sea Lions and more
- December through April: The winter is Gray Whale season. The chance of sighting the Gray Whales at this time is very high, somewhere around 90%!
- 20,000 California Gray Whales pass through our bay waters on theirannual winter migration from the cold arctic waters, to the warm lagoons of Baja Peninsula. You can get breathtaking close up views of these beautiful cetaceans. Sightings of dolphins and other marine mammals are also common. This is truly an Ocean Adventure for the whole family!
What Is Not Included?
- Light snacks such as nuts & fruit and bottled water are included
- You can also bring your own food and beverage on board. Coolers longer than 20" in length are not allowed.
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the ticket but is greatly appreciated by the crew
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance.
- Do you guarantee sightings?
- Although we cannot guarantee that we'll see every creature that calls the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary home, we do have a very high success rate. There is a variety of marine life to be seen and enjoyed.
- Where exactly do we go?
- We depart near the Kelp Forest, where you can catch a glimpse of sea otters playing in the water. We then continue near Steamer's Lane surfing area and check out Sea Lion Island. We then cross the Santa Cruz Lake. Finally we make our way across the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor and take a scenic ride along the main beaches of Santa Cruz and the boardwalk. We typically go 5-12 miles offshore (average 6-7).
- What is the best time of the year to go?
- Anytime. We see different species at different times throughout the year. Every trip is different. No two trips are alike.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- There is only one standard ticket price for all ages, including infants and toddlers.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- For safety reasons, this cruise is not suitable for pregnant women. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- Light snacks such as nuts & fruit and soft drinks are included in the price but you are welcome to bring your own food and drinks. Please limit your cooler size to 20 inches or less.
- What happens if it rains?
- We still go out. The rain is of no consequence; we are concerned with wind and sea conditions and they are not necessarily bad during the rain. In fact, some of our best conditions can be on a rainy day, so dress appropriately. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- A small one for your food and beverages. Coolers longer than 20" in length are not allowed, so as to not deprive yourself or everyone else of space.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, there is a bathroom on the boat.
- What should I wear?
- Warm layered clothing and rubber soled shoes are best. It is always much cooler on the ocean than on land, so it is better to be over dressed than under dressed. Once you become comfortable you can always peel a layer off.
- Will I get seasick?
- We sure hope not. Unfortunately, this is not something we can predict. While we can't recommend you take any medications, prevention might be a good idea if you are susceptible to motion sickness.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- The boat is not wheelchair accessible, however, we will do all that we can to accommodate customers with disabilities. Please call the office for more information.
- Where does my trip end?
- Your trip will end in the exact place that it starts from.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained. Our boat is also piloted by a U.S. Coast Guard Certified captain.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there are life jackets for every adult and child on board. The location of the jackets is clearly posted and verbally announced by the skipper.
- Do I have to wear the life jacket?
- No. You may choose to wear a life jacket if you feel you need one.
- Are dogs or pets allowed on the boat?
- No pets are allowed on our boat, but we may be able to allow service dogs on a case-by-case basis.
- How early should I arrive to check in before my trip?
- Please arrive 45 minutes before your trip begins. Remember to take traffic into account when making your plans, which is much heavier during the weekends and in the afternoons.
- Where does the boat depart from?
- Trips depart from the Santa Cruz West Harbor at Atlantic Avenue. HOWEVER, check-in for the trip happens at Stagnaro’s office at 1718 Brommer Street, Santa Cruz. The staff will then direct you to the boat, which is about a ten minute drive away. Don't worry - exact meeting location details and directions will be provided upon ticket purchase!
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes. Indoor seating and awnings are available if you need to get out of the sunlight.
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is a limited amount of space on the boat for your personal belongings. Please keep your coolers under 20 inches in length. Out of respect for your fellow passengers, please keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Stagnaro Charter Boats are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact this seller" link.
- Can I book a private trip?
- Yes! Stagnaro Charter Boats can accommodate a variety of special requests. To book a private trip on the Sea Stage Six, check out our calendar for availability.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Not suitable for pregnant women.
- For safety reasons, pregnant women are advised not to attend this cruise. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
Stagnaro Charter Boats
This historical landmark business is still leading the way in ocean fun on the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Today's fourth generation Stagnaro Charter Boats will surely make your trip fun and memorable.
The Sea Stag Six is dedicated and designed for those folks who are looking for an Ocean Adventure that provides a spacious, stable and comfortable, yet private environment . We cater to small private and semi-private groups and families. Our activities include multiple type fishing trips, both half and full day. We also offer year-round Whale and Dolphin Cruises, near shore scenic nature cruises and private excursions for any occasion.
Our U.S. Coast Guard licensed Captains are experienced and trained for all aspects of your Ocean activitiy. We are still the only company in Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay to offer half and all day trips as well as an all day combo trip that includes a half day fishing and a whale watching trip to suit both Mom and Dad!
Stagnaro Charter Boats- "the OLDEST company with the NEWEST boats on Monterey Bay!"