Big Cat Rescue is the world’s largest accredited sanctuary dedicated entirely to abused and abandoned exotic cats. Celebrity supporters of the work being done by BCR include Bo Derek, Harrison Ford and Leonardo DiCaprio, and more.
Confiscated from a drug raid, got too old for the circus, neglected by an owner: these are just a few of the stories of this facility’s cats. But now they can enjoy a dignified life of leisure, play and socializing at this accredited big cat sanctuary, which is one of the largest in the world!
Let your tour guide relate their tales of hardship and triumph and take you to see some of the following:
- Meet a pair of frolicking leopards that leap from platform to platform in their fenced-in enclosure.
- See a chirping serval rescued from a basement and enjoying the sunlight it was denied during its ordeal.
- Witness the biggest and most impressive creatures in the refuge; the lions and tigers. Though they cannot be returned to the wild, discover how the sanctuary gives them the most natural existence possible!
We are closed on Thursdays. We offer guided tours on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday at 3 PM for adults and children 10 and over. On Saturday & Sunday we offer tours at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. for adults and children 10 and over.These are walking tours and take about an hour and a half. If you have children under the age of 10, they can ONLY visit by attending the noon Tour on Saturdays or Sundays.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Just an awesome place
|labmixz||Sat, Aug 1 10:00 AM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
We had a great time with the big cats and our tour guide Denny, can't wait to go back!
Love struck by Big Cat Rescue
|julecore||Wed, Jul 29 3:00 PM||Unspecified||40-49||Combination||Family Without Children|
From the moment we drove onto the property the interns, guides,... Everyone we came into contact with we're professional, enthusiastic and had a genuine love for the animals. It was definitely evident that the cats knew and a special relationship with the interns. The interns/guides answered all of our questions and let us spend time watching and trying to communicate with the cats. Best experience I've ever had and will definitely visit again!
|tracyagentry||Tue, Jul 28 3:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
The small group tour made it a personable experience for both my adult daughter and I who love cats! It is a wonderful environment for big cats that have been rescued from harsh lifestyles. I would choose this experience over a zoo.
absolutely loved it!
|paula_voss7||Sat, Jul 25 3:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
If you love wild cats and wildlife conservation and care for animals in general, this visit is a must! They have so many beautiful wild cats you can see up close and personal and you can learn their heartbreaking stories and how they were rescued and brought back to health and you see them so happy and at large in their new home, cared and loved by this passionate and dedicated team of volunteers. It's just humanity at its best! And the cats are a joy to watch and they are all so gorgeous!
Learned a great deal
|MBarr1||Wed, Jul 22 3:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Couple on a Date|
Appreciate the plight of the domestic cat and have a great appreciation of what the Big Cat Rescue is doing.
NOT MUCH FOR THE PRICE
|sgillbanks||Wed, Jul 22 3:00 PM||Female||70+||Local||Couple on a Date|
We could hardly see the animals. The guide did not know English well and was not engaging. We consider this a charitable contribution to the Animal rescue rather than an enjoyable day.
It is an amazing experience
|mitziliana||Tue, Jul 21 3:00 PM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
For me It was a great experience, and It has an importan message with the objetive to awareness people about the problem of having wild animals as pets, or in circus.
Very good tour guide!
|Jnorwood||Tue, Jul 21 3:00 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
Very good tour. Kind of sad to hear about the treatment of these beautiful animals. Very informative and a worthwhile time.
A wonderful experience that was very insightful!
|AnneHendrix||Tue, Jul 21 3:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Having never been to Big Cat Rescue, I chose the day tour and had such a wonderful time. The tour guide was an extremely knowledgeable intern that really kept our attention as it was so interesting. The stories about the animals are inspiring and to know they are in such great care is a good feeling to have. Anything purchased whether it's tickets or souvenirs ALL goes back to the animals which I found to be yet another impressive fact. I would highly recommend visiting Big Cat Rescue as it was so much fun, but also insightful.
The adults loved it!
|Aliceoreilly||Mon, Jul 20 3:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
The children got hot and tired. They were 14 and 11. The adults loved the experience. I would highly recommend to families with children 16 and over.
The guide was excellent, but in the summer 3PM is late and hot for the cats to come out muchless play.
Have you considered an earlier tour?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required, and tours do sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day that you prefer, please book well in advance! Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Is there an age limit?
- Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the topics covered on this tour and so that adults can enjoy the tour. Kids 10 years of age or older are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. We do not make exceptions, no matter how well behaved you think your child is; only ages 10 and over on this tour. All attendees must purchase a full-price ticket.
- Can I bring food or toys for the cats?
- No, our diet is specific to their needs and we do not allow foods to be given to the cats that have not been approved by our vet and maintained under the most stringent quality controls. We do not give our cats toys that could cause harm if ingested so we do not permit toys from outside our own preselected vendors.
- Can I take pictures during my tour?
- YES! You are welcome to take photos and / or videos during your tour.
- Do I have to stay with the group, or can I wander?
- The only way to see the cats is on a guided tour, so you will not be able to wander away from the group.
- Are there restrooms?
- Yes, but we strongly suggest that you go before you get here because we have limited facilities and are on septic systems which cannot handle a lot of volume if there has been recent rain. There is a McDonald's right at the corner of Easy Street.
- What if it rains?
- The DayTour will still go out in a light rain as long as there is no lightning. If it is thundering or pouring rain, we may try to wait it out, or will offer a refund, or rescheduling.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Is there a charge for parking?
- Parking is always free and there is plenty of it except for our busiest times in Nov, Dec and March. During these busy times it is tight, but we will help you park at no additional fee.
- Are you ADA compliant?
- If you are unable to walk for two hours, we have golf carts available for $10 extra, per person riding. Our paths are dirt, so wheel chairs are hard to push, but scooters do well. There are no seats along the tour paths.
- How do the golf carts work? Are they offered on every tour?
- On some tours (but not all), we offer seats on a golf cart for guests who have difficulty with mobility. Each cart can hold 3 guests plus the driver. The cart will follow the tour guide closely so that guests can hear the narration. Depending on different circumstances, these seats can sometimes be booked in advance, but otherwise they are first come-first serve.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Please see the list of all activities to get more information about our private tours.
- What does the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement state?
- The Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement states that all buyers understand and agree to 1.) the potential dangers associated with attending Big Cat Rescue and the rules in place to prevent such dangers from occurring and 2.) the Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which states that Big Cat Rescue cannot be held responsible for any harm, injury or damage taking place at Big Cat Rescue. Please visit https://www.votervoice.net/BCR/campaigns/30112/respond to view the agreement in its entirety.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must be 10 years of age or older.
- No children under 10 years old are permitted on this tour. Children 10-17 years old are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the nature of this tour.
- There is no smoking allowed at Big Cat Rescue.
- We do not allow smoking at Big Cat Rescue, except in the parking lot.
- All participants must agree to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement.
- By purchasing tickets you are agreeing to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which appears in its entirety at https://www.votervoice.net/BCR/campaigns/30112/respond. The waiver web address also appears on your e-ticket if you would like to review the waiver later.
- If you purchased a donation Extra, please take note of the following:
- Big Cat Rescue is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, FEID 59-3330495. Note that we do not utilize professional solicitors, so 100% of your donation goes to Big Cat Rescue and supporting the cats and stopping the abuse. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR BIG CAT RESCUE, A FL-BASED NONPROFIT CORPORATION (REGISTRATION NO. CH 11409), MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE OR BY VISITING www.800helpfla.com. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
Big Cat Rescue
Big Cat Rescue has a dozen species of cats, many of whom are threatened, endangered or extinct now in the wild, including: Tigers, Lions, Leopards, Cougars, Bobcats, Lynx, Servals, Ocelots, Caracals, a Geoffroy Cat and exotic cat hybrids!
The non-profit organization is:
- Accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- Certified by Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity”
- Member of the World Society for Protection of Animals
- Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has the one of the highest scores of any animal based charity