No where else can you get this close, interact with such a wide variety of wild cats, and support a great cause at the same time.
The Keeper Tour includes:
- Enrichment: You'll make toys and treats for the cats to stimulate an animals’ activity level and watch as keeper hands out what you’ve made. Observe the animals’ reactions as they investigate their enrichment that you helped create for them.
- Operant conditioning: You'll witness a training session between the cats & keepers. During this activity you will accompany our keepers who will teach critical behaviors to one of our feline residents, such as go into lock out, stand up so we can observe the paws and underside, and much more!
- History: You'll learn the history behind our furry friends and how they came to call Big Cat Rescue home. In addition, you'll also hear the story of why Big Cat Rescue was founded, as you take a guided mini tour of the 55 acre sanctuary.
Each Behind the Big Cat Scenes Adventure is unique and different, so you never know fully what to expect, besides a roaring good time!
Keeper Tours are available on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays ONLY at 10 AM. Participants in the Big Cat Keeper Tours must be 10 years of age or older.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Wonderful to see big cats up close.
|srdouglas||Fri, Nov 20 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
The tour guide was very friendly
Great to see he animals up close and learn more about them
Knowing that doing these tours you help support this wonderful facility
Great gift shop
Have a opportunity to sponsor the big cats
Amazing experience and a true sanctuary
|leonardofrb||Fri, Nov 20 10:00 AM||Male||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
I loved the job being done in the BCR, the keeper tour is unfortunately shorter than I would have liked. However all seems to be done with the welfare of the animals in mind, so I didn't mind that too much. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to really help all those cats and getting to know the job being done there.
17 Bay Pines Veterans enjoyed the Keeper Tour
|StPeteElks||Sat, Nov 14 10:00 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Local||Other|
The St Pete Elks Lodge had the privilege of taking 17 Bay Pines Veterans on the Keeper Tour and they thoroughly enjoyed the trip. They made "cat toys" and watched the cats being fed and the animal behavior responses. The 2 hour tour flew by with so much to see and learn. Many pictures were taken, shared and enjoyed.
|PhyllA||Fri, Nov 13 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
We went on the Keeper Tour and it was well worth the cost. We were early enough to beat the heat of the day and the cats were all active. We were able to make some "enhancement" toys for them with spices, catnip and scent on paper bags to be given to the cats. Some of them really enjoyed their treats. We would recommend a visit. The cats are healthy & beautiful and extremely well cared for. Nice to see the quality of care they receive.
|vickiestout||Fri, Nov 13 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Individual|
tour leader was very knowledgeable and good speaker.made every attempt to get animals close and still for good picture taking.learned a lot about species and about the individual cat. well worth the cost.glad I went
Keeper's Tour at Big Cat Rescue
|roxiesmom333||Sun, Nov 8 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My husband & I recently took the Keeper's tour. We were instantly impressed with the grounds,the well thought out and large enclosures and the calmness of the cats. No pacing back & forth like you see in a zoo. We learned the story of each of the cats. While many came from sad situations you will not find it depressing.-The all volunteer staff are fantastic. It is obvious that they all love what they do. We saw ( very close up) many more cats than I expected. I highly recommend the Keeper's tour if you can afford it otherwise treat yourself to one of the other tours. They are a highly rated Charity. All proceeds go to care for the cats.Thank you Big Cat Rescue for all that you do.
Wonderful personalized service!
|wlmcmahon||Fri, Nov 6 10:00 AM||Male||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
We had so much fun from beginning to end. I could not believe we were standing 3 feet from a #400 lion! Our guides were very patient, answered all questions and we never felt "rushed". Making the treats and the back histories for the cats was great. It was not only fun but, imformative. Truly a wonderful time. I will reccomend and I have, to everyone i know!
Absolutely fantastic and fun Keeper tour
|jborrett||Sat, Oct 31 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We came from Australia to visit as I have been following the wonderful work of The Big Cat Rescue. I am sorry I don't remember our tour guide's name but she was fantastic. Very enthusiastic and passionate. It was fun making the enrichment items for the cats before the tour started. Will be trying them with our cats. The tour was very informative and we saw lots of cats. A couple of highlights was watching a tiger having fun rolling and chasing a huge ball and a leopard destroying the enrichment toy that had been made. And then there was the shop!!! This tour was such a wonderful experience and we hope we are able to do it again.
|DebbieTevis||Sun, Oct 25 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
We were very happy with the tour and especially our guide, Rebecca. (spelling?) Her enthusiasm was contagious and she seemed genuinely sincere. I was sad to see the cats in their condition due to their previous lives before and the way they were treated. BAD HUMANS. Glad that will live out the rest of their lives in peace with ya'll. Keep up the good work.
Great Birthday Present!
|AndreaMason||Sun, Oct 25 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
I purchased this tour because I thought it would make a unique birthday birthday gift with lots of options for taking pictures. We were not disappointed! Our volunteer guide Rebecca was enthusiastic and informative with an obvious love for the animals she helps care for. The animals were beautiful and we came away with great respect for the work Big Cat Rescue does.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required, and tours do sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day that you prefer, please book well in advance! Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Is there an age limit?
- Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the dangerous nature of this tour. Kids 10 years of age or older are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. We do not make exceptions, no matter how well behaved you think your child is; only ages 10 and over on this tour. All attendees must purchase a full-price ticket.
- Can I bring food or toys for the cats?
- No, our diet is specific to their needs and we do not allow foods to be given to the cats that have not been approved by our vet and maintained under the most stringent quality controls. We do not give our cats toys that could cause harm if ingested so we do not permit toys from outside our own preselected vendors.
- Do you sell food or drinks at the sanctuary? Is there a place to have lunch before the tour?
- Yes, we offer drinks and snacks on site, but you are welcome to bring your own, for your consumption only. You will not be allowed to provide the cats food, treats or toys.
- Can I take pictures during my tour?
- YES! You are welcome to take photos and / or videos during your tour.
- Do I have to stay with the group, or can I wander?
- The only way to see the cats is on a guided tour, so you will not be able to wander away from the group.
- Are there restrooms?
- Yes, but we strongly suggest that you go before you get here because we have limited facilities and are on septic systems which cannot handle a lot of volume if there has been recent rain. There is a McDonald's right at the corner of Easy Street, and you could use the restrooms there before the tour.
- What if it rains?
- The Keeper Tour will still go out in a light rain as long as there is no lightning. If it is thundering or pouring rain, we may try to wait it out, or will offer a refund, or rescheduling.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Is there a charge for parking?
- Parking is always free and there is plenty of it except for our busiest times in Nov, Dec and March. During these busy times it is tight, but we will help you park at no additional fee.
- Are you ADA compliant?
- If you are unable to walk for two hours, we have golf carts available for $10 extra, per person riding. Our paths are dirt, so wheel chairs are hard to push, but scooters do well. There are no seats along the tour paths.
- How do the golf carts work? Are they offered on every tour?
- On some tours (but not all), we offer seats on a golf cart for guests who have difficulty with mobility. Each cart can hold 3 guests plus the driver. The cart will follow the tour guide closely so that guests can hear the narration. Depending on different circumstances, these seats can sometimes be booked in advance, but otherwise they are first come-first serve.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes we do! The Trading Post Gift Shop is right here at our location.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Please see the list of all activities to get more information about our private tours.
- What does the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement state?
- The Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement states that all buyers understand and agree to 1.) the potential dangers associated with attending Big Cat Rescue and the rules in place to prevent such dangers from occurring and 2.) the Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which states that Big Cat Rescue cannot be held responsible for any harm, injury or damage taking place at Big Cat Rescue. Please visit https://www.votervoice.net/BCR/campaigns/30112/respond to view the agreement in its entirety.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must be 10 years of age or older.
- Children under 10 years old are not permitted due to the dangerous nature of this tour. Children 10-17 years old are welcome to attend as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- No Smoking
- No Smoking is allowed at Big Cat Rescue, except in the parking lot.
- All participants must agree to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement.
- By purchasing tickets you are agreeing to the Big Cat Rescue Release and Hold Harmless Agreement, which appears in its entirety at https://www.votervoice.net/BCR/campaigns/30112/respond. The waiver web address also appears on your e-ticket if you would like to review the waiver later.
- If you purchased a donation Extra, please take note of the following:
- Big Cat Rescue is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, FEID 59-3330495. Note that we do not utilize professional solicitors, so 100% of your donation goes to Big Cat Rescue and supporting the cats and stopping the abuse. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR BIG CAT RESCUE, A FL-BASED NONPROFIT CORPORATION (REGISTRATION NO. CH 11409), MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE 1-800-435-7352 WITHIN THE STATE OR BY VISITING www.800helpfla.com. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
Big Cat Rescue
Big Cat Rescue has a dozen species of cats, many of whom are threatened, endangered or extinct now in the wild, including: Tigers, Lions, Leopards, Cougars, Bobcats, Lynx, Servals, Ocelots, Caracals, a Geoffroy Cat and exotic cat hybrids!
The non-profit organization is:
- Accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- Certified by Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity”
- Member of the World Society for Protection of Animals
- Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has the one of the highest scores of any animal based charity