As you stroll past the neon Boulevard gateway sign from the legendary Lafayette Hotel, you'll soon gain a grasp of this neighborhood's strange foodie allure. From the iconic drag lounge and restaurant of Lips (yep, Cher is a regular) to the beer oasis of Tiger! Tiger!, a Draft Magazine's 100 Best Bars of 2014, The Boulevard has surely something for everyone's palate. And just in case you were wondering where the very first drive-thru in all of America opened, it was right here on The Boulevard.
Our El Cajon Boulevard tour is offered Wednesday evening from 6pm to 9pm during the spring. This is a tour that offers more food than our usual daytime tours and is for adults 21 and up.
The stops on our Boulevard tour include restaurants, such as:
- Tiger! Tiger!: One of Draft Magazine's 100 Best Bars of 2014.
- Lips: The Ultimate Drag dining destination on the ultimate drag of San Diego
- Lafayette Hotel: The stylish swim club and bungalow hotel making a splash once again
- Chicken Pie Shop: There's nothing little about this spunky diner
- Pizzeria Luigi's: Luigi Agostini's, a real Italian's, pizza parlor for San Diego
- Flavor’s of East Africa: A Kenyan excursion right from your plate
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance or can I just show up with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out! To make sure you get the time and date you want, we suggest you book far in advance (one month or more). Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted. Even if you hand it to us cold.
- What should I expect if I take The Boulevard Tour?
- Oh, a lot! At the start of your tour one of Bite San Diego’s guides will check you in at the first restaurant. Then, you’re off on a 1.5 to 2 mile stroll which will stop at four to five more restaurants (so you’ll be visiting 5 total restaurants at a minimum). At each restaurant, you’ll sample the cuisine while learning about The Boulevard's importance and impact in San Diego. During the walking portion of the tour, your guide will share interesting facts and stories about the buildings, streets, and culture of San Diego.
- Are there other tours available?
- Currently, Bite San Diego many tours throughout San Diego. Check our main website, www.bitesandiego.com for a list of all tour routes under the "Tours" tab.
- How much walking are we talking about here?
- The Boulevard tour covers a 1.5 to 2 mile route on flat surfaces. We are on our feet for most of the entire tour, but we keep the walking and stopping to a leisurely pace. This is San Diego - we’re laid back.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We love this question! A list of the fabulous restaurants we visit is included in the Description of the tour.
- I was thinking of bringing my nephew/screaming baby/twin toddlers. Good idea?
- Yeah, no. This is a 21 and up tour.
- What if it rains?
- We operate rain or shine. However, San Diego is sunny 340 or more days a year. It will probably be perfectly sunny for your tour.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- San Diego is pretty casual when it comes to fashion so don’t feel compelled to look like you’re “going out.” Dress as you would for a lunch or picnic, keeping in mind you’ll be casually strolling for about 2 miles. We don’t mind if you wear an “I LOVE SAN DIEGO” t-shirt from a local tourist shop. We wear those shirts all the time ourselves.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- No, so if your tour guide is just fantastic and impresses the pants off you, give him or her a tip to show your thanks.
- How many people can go on one tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour is 15.
- How much food will we eat on the tour?
- There are at least five stops for food tastings on all of our tours. Because this tour is during dinner hours, you should have enough to NOT then go to dinner.
- What type of food and drinks will we taste on the tour?
- It depends! Usually on this tour, we sample African cuisine, American fare, pizza, and more. However, these are all subject to change by our chefs' whims.
- Wait! How will I remember what restaurants to go back to?
- Don’t you worry. Your tour guide will provide you with a handout outlining the tour route and the names and contact info of the restaurants we’ll be visiting.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Yes, you’ll have the opportunity to have water at any restaurant we stop at. In addition, beer or wine is sampled on the Downtown tour.
- Do I need to be 21 and over to participate in the tour?
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- When you purchase your ticket, please let us know if you are vegetarian, diabetic, gluten-free and so forth. We’ll try our best to accommodate your needs. Keep in mind there are some tastings on the tour that are simply hard to replace, such as a yummy donut or hearty pasta. Please contact us by clicking "Contact BiteSanDiego" before booking if you would like to confirm ahead of time that your dietary restriction can be accommodated.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair and/or stroller accessible?
- This is California, where everywhere is a place you can wheel along! (Or else you’d be sued.) So yes, bring your wheels if you normally do and ride along with us. All of the surfaces we walk on are flat.
- Are there restrooms available on the tour?
- Yes. The tour visits a number of restaurants, therefore bathrooms will be available at each stop during the tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. We also don’t speak California Surfer or Stuck Up Foodie.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Oh, we love dogs, but sadly, the Health Department does not. Please leave your pooch at home.
- Is there public parking available nearby?
- Your ticket includes free parking in a lot located two blocks east of the meeting location, on the corner of Howard Ave and Texas Street.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native or local San Diegan?
- Of course! Many of our guests live in San Diego. Locals often go on our tours to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Besides, we don’t look like a tourist group, and we give you access to restaurants and info we’re sure you’ve never experienced or known before.
- What about signing a waiver or something like that?
- Yep, we do ask each guest to sign a waiver stating that you understand Bite San Diego and the restaurants we visit cannot be held responsible for losses, delays, damages, accidents or injuries caused by persons engaged in carrying out the services of the tours.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! If you are interested in gift certificates, please click on the "Contact BiteSanDiego" link to inquire about purchasing one.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, but you’ll need to contact us directly so we can set this up. Please click on the "Contact BiteSanDiego" link on the left side of the page to inquire about a private tour.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older. Please make sure to bring a valid government-issued ID with you.
Bite San Diego
We help locals and visitors alike explore the growing food scene of "America’s Finest City" via guided food walking tours. Our tours are fun, carefree, intimate, and darn interesting! We take you inside some of San Diego’s exceptional restaurants so you can sample the cuisine that makes "America’s Finest City" something to bite about. We explore the interesting history, insights and stories of San Diego so you can understand the character of both this city and its restaurants.
Bite San Diego is also committed to sustainable urban-rural partnerships that help put healthy, locally grown food on our restaurants’ tables. We support San Diego Roots by making a 2% annual donation of our profits to this great non-profit organization.