You see, me mateys, we are friendly pirates protecting the Nation’s Capital from any boisterous buccaneers that might get too close. We house the city’s most valued treasure on board our ship, but recently the keys to our treasure chest were stolen! We need your help as we search the waterways looking for the scallywags who stole the keys to our precious loot. If we find these scurvy dogs sailing the high seas, they better beware!
In our search for treasure, you will enjoy:
- A hunt for the stolen keys to our city's treasure chest.
- Water Cannon Battles
- Face Painting
- Booty & Pirate Souvenirs
- Pirate Celebrations
- Washington DC’s famous cityscape including views of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monumemt, Watergate, Kennedy Center, and Georgetown University.
About the vessel-
The Boomerang Pirate Ship was custom designed and built to U.S. Coast Guard requirements for use on the Potomac River in 2013.
Our ship is equipped with all of the latest life-saving equipment, including life jackets, life rings, and ship-to-shore radio. All of our captains hold their 100 ton master’s license, and they are the saltiest dogs on the river!
There are two restrooms on board, a full bar for refreshments, and a professional sound system with a large variety of music.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
An absolutely brilliant family outing!
|thehumanriff||Sun, Jun 28 11:30 AM||Male||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
We had often seen the Pirate Boat living as we do very close to Georgetown. We decided to take the plunge and it exceeded all expectations. The staff are friendly, fun and totally into the roles. The kids had an incredible time and the energy of staff really helped. The experience gives you amazing views of the river (though there is no guided tour on kids boat). Still its a brilliant way to spend an afternoon.
Great adventure for kids.
|1009kids||Wed, Jun 24 1:30 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Staff was enthusiastic and the tour was fun for all
|HowardWilton||Wed, Jun 24 1:30 PM||Male||60-69||Combination||Family With Children|
Not much exploring of waterways
|hannahcox||Thu, Jun 18 2:30 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Great idea! Very enthusiastic staff and awesome experience for my 2 boys. I would say make sure you have high factor sun cream on as it's hot on the water!
Great experience for kids
|TinaM555||Thu, Jun 18 2:30 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
This was a great family fun experience for our grand daughter as well as the other kids aboard the ship. All the pirate crew members made the time on the ship fun and the kids enjoyed the free face painting, the tattoos and especially using the water cannons to get the keys back to the treasure chest. Definitely worth it and for the adults a great time sightseeing along the Potomac River. Would definitely recommend it.
|andregomes||Sun, Jun 7 12:30 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
It was fun
|kventura88||Sat, Jun 6 1:30 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Enthusiastic crew, fun for the whole family
|romodo||Sat, May 30 11:30 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Right price and right amount of time out on the water (don't forget sunscreen!). Skewed a little young for the 7 year old, but the 5 year old was pretty game.
|LanZak02||Sun, May 24 12:30 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Although my son enthusiastically enjoyed the voyage, when presented with the electronic receipt indicating prior payment of $10 for the children's bag, I was tersely told that my receipt meant nothing and that if I wanted my son to have the bag I would have to pay the $10. Not to disappoint my little pirate I paid your PIRATE the $10 which I am reasonably sure went right into his wallet! As a result, although I would say that the concept is wonderful for children, to be taken by a PIRATE is an insult morally and ethically!
Boomerang Tours responded:
Ahoy! Thank you for joining us for our treasure hunt cruise. We are thrilled to hear that your son had a great time! We are very sorry for the confusion that you had with your pre-paid pirate bag. We left you a voicemail & email to you to let you know that we have refunded your $10 back to your credit card. In addition, we have educated all of our pirates about our pre-purchasing online option. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Thank you again, Nautical Nikki
Fantastic Experience with Kids!
|alcidems||Sun, May 17 11:30 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Family With Children|
We took my 7 year old niece and 4 year old nephew and they loved it! The staff was excellent and the children were entertained the entire time. This is a must when visiting DC with kids!
- What happens during the water cannon battles?
- Me friends, a pirate doesn't like to discuss the rough life at sea. However, we will tell you this - when we find the scurvy dog that stole the keys to our treasure chest, we will turn on our water cannons and engage in battle for as long at it takes until we win those keys back!
- Is there face painting?
- Yes! It is important that we look serious as we search for rogue enemies! If you would like us to help you with a new 'nautical look', we will be happy to 'toughen you up, pirate style'!
- What is the layout of the boat?
- The Boomerang has a large open floor plan with two levels, and an enclosed bar & bathroom area. The upper deck can accommodate 32 passengers at a time, while the entire boat can accommodate 90 passengers.
- Can outside food & drinks be brought aboard?
- No. Although me pirates love a good meal, sadly, we do not allow passengers to bring food & drinks aboard.
- Can I bring a cake?
- No. Unless the Pirate Ship is chartered privately, there is no outside food allowed, including cakes.
- Can we purchase food on board?
- Yes. We do not serve meals on board ye ship, but we do sell a variety of healthy snacks for any hungry pirates!
- Can we purchase alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages on board?
- Yes. We operate a full bar inside the galley full of grog, spirits, wine, beer, juices, & sodas. We also have a large cooler of drinking water that is free of charge for thirsty pirates!
- Do you accept cash & credit cards?
- Yes! We are pirates and we are happy to accept all kinds of booty.
- Will I receive any pirate treasure?
- Ye landlubber already asking about me loot, eh? Well then, I suppose it's only right for us pirates to share! If we win back the keys to our treasure chest during our water battles, we will happily share our pirate booty with our new crew!
- Will I get wet?
- Piracy is not for the faint of heart! When our water cannons go off, you may get misted during battle. Especially if the scallywag we are chasing fires back! However, me mates, there are areas of the boat where you can go if you'd like to guarantee that you will stay dry.
- Are there bathrooms on board?
- Yes! We have two bathrooms on board. On a pirate ship, however, bathrooms are called ‘heads’. So stop calling them bathrooms, ye land lubber!
- Do I have to dress like a pirate?
- This here is a tough question for me and my mates... However, we are modern pirates who accept all kinds - land lubbers, scurvy dogs, buccaneers, wenches, and more. So relax, me hearties, we will accept you for who you arrrrrrrr. Just *don't* bring any scallywags.
- What should I wear?
- Me lads, me lasses, we encourage you to look your plundering best! Once you've swabbed our decks, played with the bilge rats, and walked the plank, no buxom beauty in town will look better than you! Please wear practical shoes for your comfort and safety.
- What do I need to bring?
- You don't need much to live the life of a pirate. Make sure to bring cash or credit cards for booty on board - snacks, drinks, or souvenirs, and a camera if you'd like. Wear practical shoes since you are boarding a boat, bring your best smile, perhaps an eye patch, maybe a hoodie if it is chilly, shades if it’s sunny, and you should be good to go!
- What if someone in my party misses the boat? Can we go back to pick them up?
- Unfortunately, we leave right on time and cannot go back to the dock to pick up any slacking pirates. For this reason it is very important for you to arrive early, or right on time. Because docking times are reserved for commercial boats throughout each hour, we are not able to linger at the dock outside of our assigned time or we stand the risk of making enemies at sea! It is very important that you are ready to board at cruise time. Please plan ahead for parking and traffic, ye scurvy dogs. Arrrr!
- What happens if it rains?
- Our events operate in the rain.... We are fearless pirates! Be sure to plan ahead for all of the elements by wearing the appropriate attire. If rain is in the forecast, feel free to bring an umbrella, raincoat, or poncho.
- What happens if severe weather is in the forecast for my cruise?
- If severe weather is in the forecast for our section of the Potomac, our captain might have to cancel a cruise. If this was the case, we would notify tickets holders via email and text message as soon as that decision was made. At that point, we would issue you a gift certificate for a future cruise.
- What if we experience severe weather during our cruise?
- The captain might make the decision to return to the dock if severe weather occurs during your cruise. If you experienced the majority of your cruise before the captain made that decision, then no accommodations would be made. If you experienced less than half of your cruise, then we would offer you a gift certificate for a future cruise.
- How long will the cruise last?
- This depends on the cruise that you choose. The exact duration will be listed on each ticketing page and cruises are between 45 minutes - 2 hours.
- Do I need to purchase a ticket for an infant?
- No, "infants in arms" do not need a ticket. In other words, if your little pirate isn't walking yet, then they are welcome aboard free of charge. The Coast Guard still considers every person aboard as a passenger, so please include a message if you think you will be bringing an infant in the message section when you purchase your ticket.
- Can I bring a stroller?
- Yes, you are able to bring a small stroller on board with you, but avoid the big heavy ones! Fold-able strollers encouraged due to space on the boat.
- Can I buy a ticket at check-in on the dock?
- Piracy on the Potomac is serious business, me friends, so the Boomerang usually sells out in advance. However, we never want anyone to miss out on an opportunity to sail the high seas, so if there is a “no show”, we would be willing to sell a ticket on the spot.
- Is the boat Coast Guard certified?
- The Boomerang Boat is a United Stated Coast Guard certified vessel and safety is our number one priority. If anyone is acting unruly or is harmful to themselves or others, the boat will return to the dock and our security will have these guests removed. In addition, we have the right to deny boarding to any person at any time. Safety is our first priority and entertainment is our second, so please sail responsibly.
- Do you have life jackets on board?
- Yes, we are US Coast Guard regulated & inspected, and the Boomerang is equipped with state of the art electronics and the latest life saving equipment.
- Is smoking permitted?
- No. After a harsh life pirating at sea, our voices are coarse and our lungs are full of damp and salty air. Don't be a scurvy dog, please no smoking on board.
- Is this a tour boat? Will we be making stops?
- Arrrr you crazy? We are not your traditional, boring tour boat. We are not your traditional boat at all! We will be keeping the treasure hunt alive while enjoying the beautiful DC harbor views and searching for scallywags!
- Which historical sights will I see during the trip?
- All the good ones! You will be able to see the Georgetown waterfront, boathouse, and University, the Watergate, Kennedy Center, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, the Pentagon, entrance to the Tidal Basin, Hains Point, the Custis Lee Memorial, Key Bridge, and the Memorial Bridge.
- Can I board if I'm visably pregnant?
- We are on moving vessel which creates as unstable atmosphere. If we feel that it is unsafe for you to board due to your pregnancy, or any condition, we may ask you to sign a waiver, or we may recommend that you to make alternate plans. We have your best interests in mind when making this decision.
- Will I get seasick?
- Most likely no. The Potomac River is very narrow and it is usually a very calm waterway.
- Is the boat wheel chair accessable?
- Sadly, no. The dock does not have wheelchair access due to tidal changes (which alter river levels) throughout the day.
- Can I stow my belonging somewhere on board during the cruise?
- You'd like to give a ship full of pirates all of ye possessions? Me mates don't think this is such a good idea so we do not have an area to stow people's belongings at this time.
- Can I rent out the entire Boomerang Pirate Ship for a private party?
- Yes! For all private charter inquiries, please email email@example.com or call 202-695-6597 to setup your private event.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
The Boomerang started in 2006 with a married duo who loved taking advantage of all the fun things DC had to offer. Quickly realizing that safe and affordable transportation was sorely lacking, they looked for ways to improve the entertainment offerings in the Washington, DC area by creating Boomerang Tours- a party bus transportation company that organized unique events happening around town.
Fast forward to 2012, and their fleet comprised of five buses!
Just like their vehicles, Boomerang’s creators were always on the move.. Itching to test out their sea legs, they decided to follow their passion by expanding from land to sea in March of 2012 with the launch of the 80 passenger Boomerang Party Yacht. This turned out to be a great idea as Washingtonians stormed their gangplank to experience sunset sails, brunch cruises, and more along the Potomac River while enjoying live DJs and panoramic views of our nation’s best monuments.
Longing for even more adventure, the Boomerang creators decided it was time for them to become the saltiest dogs on the river. Piracy, looting, and plundering crossed their minds, but deep in their hearts they felt more Jolly Roger than they did the dreadful Blackbeard.
Alas, the Boomerang Pirate Ship was born. A sturdy and powerful vessel built in the Chesapeake Bay just for the Boomerang fleet, this 90 passenger, 54 foot pirate vessel arrived in Washington after a 14 hour sail on April 15th, 2013.
We invite you aboard to join our crew of friendly pirates, me mateys!