Enjoy a series of dishes from restaurants and shops nestled in quaint row houses, clustered down barracks row, and located inside the district's longest running market.
Your culinary experience may include the following specialties:
- 18th Century inspired Anglo-Indian Cuisine
- Award winning Soul Food
- A variety of traditional Salvadorian dishes and beverages
- Hand made pastas from a critically acclaimed Italian restaurant
- Regional American desserts from the area's newest neighborhood restaurant.
All dishes served are included in the tour. Enough food is served that for most participants, dinner afterwards will not be needed. Seating and special service is provided at all restaurants throughout the tour.
We recommend you eating a light brunch before the tour rather than lunch. The dishes you will try resemble small meals rather than traditional tastings. We want you to be able to experience the best each restaurant has to offer.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
great tour, Eric the guide was great!!
|Rellie||Wed, Nov 18 11:30 AM||Female||30-39||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Great tour, Eric the guide was very knowledgable and nice. A lot of fun!!
Our Guide was excelent .
|taylor6840||Sat, Oct 31 2:00 PM||Female||60-69||Combination||Group of Friends|
Cava Mezza restaurant was extremely disapointing.
Great fun with knowledgeable guide!
|jessjoye||Sat, Oct 24 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
Nice balance between walking history tour and sitting down enjoying food. Highly recommend and can't wait to try out tours in other neighborhoods.
Tour of surprises on Capitol Hill
|Sntrimner||Sun, Oct 18 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Individual|
enjoyed a new experience at a restaurant that I thought I knew everything about. I had never had any of the menu items selected and yet I will go back just to have another taste.
Fun and Informative!
|HarrietGil||Sat, Oct 10 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Ryan was great, very knowledgeable with history of the area and nice choice of restaurants. The tastings were all delicious and generous.
|saige214||Wed, Oct 7 11:30 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Enjoyed the walking tour through the neighborhood and the restaurant selection. Truly a food experience that anyone visiting Washington DC should experience. There was more than enough food to enjoy and the sampling was pleasingly diverse. Great for all ages!
Great tour! Even better food!
|LauraDingler||Sat, Aug 29 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
I highly recommend this food tour of Capitol Hill. Our tour guide, Ryan, was energetic and engaging. He was very knowledgeable about the history of the area surrounding the delicious restaurants we stopped at. The weather was warm, but during the history part of the tour, Ryan thoughtfully stopped us in locations where we could take cover under some shade. We had an intimate group of 7 people due to some cancellations, and at each stop, Ryan made conversation with all of us easing the awkwardness of meeting new people. Now on to the food...we were stuffed!! Everything we ate was absolutely delicious. I do not want to give details and spoil the surprise, but I will say we enjoyed one restaurant so much, we returned for dinner that evening. Overall, I highly recommend this tour, even if you are a local! Thank you Ryan and DC Metro Food Tours for an enjoyable, delicious afternoon!
Ryan was so great and historical facts were cool!
|Suzieschick3||Sat, Aug 29 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Unspecified||Group of Friends|
I really enjoyed the historical facts Ryan shared with us. The tour was really cool and Ryan was really awesome. Also, the first two food stops are yummy and the portions are substantial. I'd recommend Ryan and this tour!
|BKirkland||Wed, Aug 19 11:30 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
So informative and interesting!
Great way to get to know Capitol Hill
|Summer4vr||Sat, Aug 15 2:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Jen, our guide was very knowledgeable, inclusive to all in our group. We spent half the time learning about the area and half trying out mom & pop restaurants that we may never have tried without this guidance. The food was good.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add extra spaces or we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in. We may provide additional tours once a tour is close to being sold out. The maximum number of people per tour group is 12.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour. It should be noted, however, that the tour is three hours long. Some children have a limited attention span and therefore the tour may not be appropriate for some of them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation on a case by case basis. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings (or will share with you!), you do not need to purchase tickets for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- We will stop at 3-4 sit down restaurants during the tour. The types of food at the restaurants include 18th century inspired Anglo-Indian Cuisine, award winning Soul Food, Spanish empanadas, eclectic seafood specialties, Salvadorian beverages, and traditional Eastern European Jewish desserts. Food-tasting locations may change without notice.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 4-5 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterwards will not be necessary.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Water will be served with each meal. You will be served a drink with dessert, and with one of the meals.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Our Food Tours provide history, architecture, culture, and local cuisine. We enjoy food at a number of restaurants throughout each Food Tour in the form of either specially plated dishes, or family style meals, depending on the type of food at each restaurant.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants. We will stop at each restaurant for 20-25 minutes, which includes time to use the bathrooms.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 20-25 minutes. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact DC Metro Food Tours by clicking on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour finishes within three blocks of the starting point. Additionally, each participant will receive specific direction details and a map at the beginning of the tour in order to gain familiarity with the area.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour.
- How many stops will there be? And how much time will we spend at each stop?
- There will be five stops along the tour. Each stop will last between 20 and 25 minutes.
- How much time will be spent inside? How much will be spent outside?
- You will spend between at least half the tour inside various restaurants. The other half will be spent on the streets of historic Capitol Hill.
- Is there wheelchair access on the tour?
- Our tour will cover some uneven terrain. If you or another guest with you needs wheelchair access, please contact the seller in advance. We will work to accomodate you.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is a parking garage located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Are gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all DC Metro Food Tours and make an ideal gift for birthdays, holidays, or any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To learn more about booking a Private Group Tour, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
DC Metro Food Tours
We will open your mind and palette to the sights, sounds and flavors that Washington DC has to offer. The area best known for its museums and moments is also full of exciting, historic neighborhoods that offer a wide range of cuisine that will change your expectations of our nation’s capital.