On this guided, narrated walking tour, you will experience and learn about Old Town Alexandria’s significance throughout the history of our country. During the tour, you will stop to sample specially made dishes at unique family owned restaurants.
After finishing, you will be able to truly appreciate the heritage, history, and local food in Old Town Alexandria.
Your culinary adventure may include the following specialties:
Experience the many sides of Old Town!
Join us as we bring you through a town of stately mansions, charming row houses, and tree lined streets, encapsulating three centuries worth of charm. See what makes this former port town so charming, unique and delicious.
All dishes served are included in the tour. Enough food is served that for most participants, dinner afterwards will not be needed. Seating and special service is provided at all restaurants throughout the tour.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great history and food
|Perriefox||Sat, Jan 16 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Our tour guide, Shiny, was terrific. Very friendly and knowledgable. She made the experience really fun.
Perfect balance of food and history!
|Ajzimm||Sat, Jan 2 1:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
This was my first food "tour" and as a local, I was skeptical about how much I would really learn. The answer is -- surprisingly a lot! We went to restaurants that were well-known but not the "hottest," so there is a chance you (like me) haven't visited them yet. Additionally, all of the restaurants had some sort of historical significance. Our guide, Eric, was a font of information on just about every subject. It's worth the cost!
Great food, great knowledge, great time!
|Agurson||Sun, Dec 20, 15 1:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
We live in the area and this was a birthday present - was a total hit. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the history of the area and we loved learning about it. The food is fantastic - and we will almost definitely return to the restaurants. We are excited to try some of the other tours!
A pleasant, educational walk with some tasty stops
|heatherpalm||Sat, Dec 12, 15 1:00 PM||Unspecified||20-29||Combination||Family Without Children|
Our tour guide was friendly and personable. The food was enjoyable. I enjoyed he walk through town and learned some interesting tidbits of information.
Fun group activity
|Lbadzik||Sat, Dec 12, 15 1:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
Fun for a group. I loved that it was a walking tour. Tour guide could have been a little more interactive, but was sweet. I would do another one.
Beautiful Day inside and outside in Alexandria
|marshanager||Thu, Dec 10, 15 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
It turnout to be a private tour with our guide Eric as we walked the historic streets of Old Town Alexandria due to some cancellations but the trip went on as scheduled. He shared a lot of interesting history along with surprising and delicious culinary treats at four very different restaurants: wonderful Northern Italian style ravioli at Landini Brothers, Tender ribs and to die for fried green tomatoes at Overwood Wood-Fired American Kitchen, Flounder with risotto at The Firehouse and desserts of our choice at the Society Fair. It was a very memorable day with a wonderful guide Eric.
Informative & Fun
|narunkeo||Fri, Dec 4, 15 1:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Jennifer was very knowledgeable and personable. We (my best friend and I) ended up being the only 2 on the tour, so we we enjoyed the personal tour :) The restaurants we visited were quaint and foods were very pleasing. We enjoyed the rich history and culture Alexandria had to offer. The walking distance and amounts of foods were balanced out evenly. We weren't sure how much walking or how much foods to expect, but were weren't overly overwhelmed or disappointed in both aspects. We both extremely enjoyed the last stop at the bakery, as we were able to sit and enjoy our treats and wind down. For the price of the tour, I think it was a great bargain. We would definitely recommend to others.
Great tour guide - 3 out of 4 locations were great
|cvagnini||Sun, Nov 29, 15 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
1st location was just okay. stuffy location. spinach ravioli w/cream sauce was heavy and we'd never go back there
2nd location was great! great location and vib, ribs and fried green tomato app. great beer and wine
3rd location was also great!. Great location and vib, great fish but veg was bitter. great drink options
last was great with both savory and sweet.
we'll look for these in other cities we travel to.
Wonderful experience - worth every penny!
|sgsimp||Sun, Nov 8, 15 1:00 PM||Female||40-49||Combination||Other|
I bought this history tour/food outing as a surprise birthday present for my mom. We had an interesting, not too big group of people and an awesome tour guide. She even tried to help me arrange a little birthday treat for my mom. Guide was very knowledgeable, easy to talk to, and fun to be with. Loved learning the history behind Old Town and the food visits were all so different and really fun to try. My mother loved it and it turned out to be a wonderful gift!
Wonderful guide Pablo and great mix of food!
|Deblogn||Sun, Nov 1, 15 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
The walk was informative and our guide so gracious. Portions of food were good size and our group meshed very well. Weather was perfect which added to the fun. We had a birthday girl with us who was offered a complementary glass of processco. Nice touch. I was so content at the end I neglected to tip my guide, please forgive my poor manners! I actually realized it later that evening in my happy full state! A fun afternoon, will recommend to my local and traveling friends.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we can add extra spaces or we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in. We may provide additional tours once a tour is close to being sold out. The maximum number of people per tour group is 12.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour. It should be noted, however, that the tour is 3.5 hours long. Some children have a limited attention span and therefore the tour may not be appropriate for some of them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation on a case by case basis. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings (or will share with you!), you do not need to purchase tickets for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- We will stop at 3-4 sit down restaurants during the tour. The types of food at the restaurants include Lebanese, Greek, European/Asian Fusion, Thai, Local/Continental, and French. You may also have tastings at a gourmet coffee and specialty store and a local chocolate shop. Everyone will also receive Alexandria’s Famous Jelly Cake. Food-tasting locations may change without notice.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 4-5 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterwards will not be necessary.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Water will be served with each meal. You will be served either tea or coffee with dessert. Alcohol may or may not be included on the tour.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Our Food Tours provide history, architecture, culture, and local cuisine. We enjoy food at a number of restaurants throughout each Food Tour in the form of either specially plated dishes, or family style meals, depending on the type of food at each restaurant..
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants. We will stop at each restaurant for 20-25 minutes, which includes time to use the bathrooms.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 20-25 minutes. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact DC Metro Food Tours by clicking on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour finishes within three blocks of the starting point. Additionally, each participant will receive specific direction details and a map at the beginning of the tour in order to gain familiarity with the area.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour.
- How many stops will there be? And how much time will we spend at each stop?
- There will be five stops along the tour. Each stop will last between 20 and 25 minutes.
- How much time will be spent inside? How much will be spent outside?
- You will spend between at least half the tour inside various restaurants. The other half will be spent on the streets of historic Old Town Alexandria.
- Is there wheelchair access on the tour?
- Our tour will cover some uneven terrain. If you or another guest with you needs wheelchair access, please contact the seller in advance. We will work to accomodate you.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is a parking garage located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Are gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all DC Metro Food Tours and make an ideal gift for birthdays, holidays, or any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To learn more about booking a Private Group Tour, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
DC Metro Food Tours
We will open your mind and palette to the sights, sounds and flavors that Washington DC has to offer. The area best known for its museums and moments is also full of exciting, historic neighborhoods that offer a wide range of cuisine that will change your expectations of our nation’s capital.