On the four-hour version of this tour, we will be making a lunch stop at an authentic New York restaurant. Please note the the three-hour version of this tour does not stop for lunch.
Travel through classic hip hop terrain on an intimate ride led by one of our famous hosts, including Grandmaster Caz (from the Cold Crush Brothers), Kurtis Blow, Rahiem (from the Furious Five), Reggie Reg (from Crash Crew). Their stories will give you insight into the history and growth of hip hop as you check out some of its most important landmarks, like:
- Hip Hop Revolution Exhibition April 6 - Sept 13, 2015 (Museum Donation Welcomed)
- Graffiti Wall of Fame
- Harlem World
- The Apollo Theater
- Yankee Stadium
- Famous Murals Dedicated to Legends like Big L, Kool Herc, and More
What Is Not Included?
Souvenirs are not included in the price of the tour. Our participants have the opportunity to purchase exclusive CDs, T-Shirts, and more to remind them of their trip. Please bring cash if you might want to purchase lunch and/or souvenirs.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Shesett||Sat, May 14 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Combination||Group of Friends|
Me and my four friends went on this tour for our friend's 25th birthday - she loves hip hop! The tour was even better than I expected. Learned so much more than I would have ever imagined - even how to break dance! Definitely recommend!
|aznitaazman||Fri, May 13 11:00 AM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
You get to breakdance and ride on a bus with super loud music - how amazing is that
|brammers75||Sat, May 7 10:00 AM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
What an awesome day. Tour hosts, locations, activities, history, music and much more were so good. Will go again next time I'm in NY. Thanks Hush Tours
Fun and informative!
|afinkelstein||Sat, May 7 10:00 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
I'm a big hip-hop fan, and was looking for a fun activity while my friend was in town, and this did not disappoint!
|Heidi77||Fri, May 6 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We had so much fun with lots of laughter. Good to see other places then Manhattan. And lot´s of funky music!
birthplace of hip hop tour
|rowbotiks1||Wed, May 4 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The tour was great.me and my friend was over from the UK so thought we would try it out as we are both lovers of hip hop.
Grandmaster can was a great guide through harlem/bronx.i personally loved the graffiti hall of fame.
Anyway I can highly recommend this tour to all!
|Robgenius||Sat, Apr 30 11:00 AM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Loved it! All the history behind it...the murals...the music. Very knowledgeable and super cool guides too.
The Real Deal in Hip Hop tours!
|DeeJayTee||Sat, Apr 30 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
If you want the real deal on the history of Hip Hop, Hush tours is the only place to go...Hip Hop has been my major musical influence sine I was 11. At 47 years old on May 25th, Hush jogged many memories from the past and I still learned so much more on the tour. If your in NYC and your a Hip Hop head, this is the only place to go!!
|Jfuentes86||Fri, Apr 29 11:00 AM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
It was everything I hoped for and more. We saw many hip hop landmarks as well other important landmarks in pop culture. The lunch spot was also on point. They took us to marinas soul food. Absolutely delicious! The entire experience was fun. everyone should take this tour. I can't wait to go back and try the where's Brooklyn at your.
|MsNikkiLaw||Fri, Apr 29 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Combination||Group of Friends|
This tour is amazing and I sincerely want to do the other Hip Hop location tours. We learned a lot and saw a lot and the tour guides are personal and interactive. It was one of the best tours I've ever taken.
- Why Should I Take the Hush Tour?
- Hush Tours is the only experience of its kind. It is a comprehensive hip hop tour that focuses on the true origins of hip hop culture 40 years ago, with real celebrity talent as tour guides. Every Hush Tour is its own unique experience, providing a comprehensive overview of the most important elements of the New York hip hop scene. From DJs, MCs, B-Boys, and Graffiti artists, every tour is designed to provide you with a one of a kind opportunity to see a side of New York that not even residents have seen.
- But I Don’t Like Rap. Will I Like This Tour?
- Absolutely. Hip hop is a culture, not simply a style of music. Hip hop culture is filled with an incredible artistic history, as well as a community that has influenced generations not only in New York, but around the world. Our tours have humor, energy, and a stories all their own, and take you into areas of New York that you don’t have to like hip hop music to appreciate.
- Is Your Tour Age Appropriate?
- Yes. We frequently have guests over the age of 5 on the tour, and we are very popular with teenagers and young adults all the way to senior citizens.
- What Age Qualifies for a Child Ticket?
- All children ages 6-18, who will take their own seat on the bus, must purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Any children ages 5 and under who will not need their own seat may come free of charge, but must sit on an adults lap. If a child 5 and under does require their own seat, he or she must have a reduced price Child ticket.
- Can I Send My Child Alone?
- We do allow teenagers to be on the bus alone. Keep in mind that the tours often make stops, so your child will be expected to stay with the group at all times. Please make sure you provide them with some type of cell phone so that they can reach you, and let us know in advance that your child will be on board without adult supervision.
- What is the difference between the three and four hour versions of this tour?
- The four-hour version of this tour will be making a lunch stop at an authentic New York restaurant. If you choose to attend the four-hour tour, please bring cash, as the place we will be stopping at may not accept credit cards. Please note that the three-hour version of this tour will not be stopping for lunch. Feel free to bring along a snack!
- If a Tour is Sold Out, Do You Have a Waiting List?
- Not yet. Our tours are available on a first come, first served basis. Tours usually do sell out, so we encourage you to purchase tickets well in advance and plan your trip accordingly.
- What Ethnic Group, Gender, and/or Age Audience is Hush Tours For?
- All of them! Hush Tours is the definition of family friendly. Hip hop culture isn’t about age, ethnicity, or gender. It’s about experiencing the birthplace of a movement that has touched future generations. We’re a great choice for those that appreciate both old school and new school hip hop, and if you read our reviews you’ll see that even those that have never had much flavor for hip hop culture have loved their Hush Tours experience.
- Do I Really Get to Meet Celebrities with Hush Tours?
- Yes! Your tour guides are all legends of hip hop, and were themselves a part of hip hop history. Some of your possible celebrity guides include Grandmaster Caz of The Cold Crush Brothers, Rahiem from Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five, Ralph McDaniels, Lady K Fever, Johnny Famous, DJ Red Alert, as well as several others, and there are always surprise guest on each tour.
- Do You Cancel in Bad Weather?
- You know nothing can stop hip hop. Except for snow and dangerous storms of course. We do everything we can to still hold our tours and cancellations are very rare. Expect the tour to continue unless the weather is severe, and call us if you’re concerned.
- Are There Any Other Tours Like Hush Tours in NYC?
- None. Hush Tours is a one of a kind experience. Not only is it the only tour of hip hop history, it’s also the only tour narrated by the legends that have been there. There are other tours that go through Harlem or hit up some of the Jazz clubs, but no other tour provides the same perspective and insight on the total hip hop experience that you receive through Hush Tours.
- Do You Ever Skip Sections of the Tour?
- While rare, we do occasionally need to modify a tour last minute or skip planned locations as a result of traffic conditions, construction, or issues that affect the tour route. We assume no responsibility for access to sites and activities or circumstances beyond our control. Keep in mind that on occasion we’ll also change up our tours on purpose to provide a brand new experience to the visitor.
- Is Your Tour Available in Any Language Besides English?
- Yes, provide points of interest written in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Korean, and Japanese. Unfortunately, our tour guides only speak English during the tour, however this tour is both musical and visual and can appreciated by those that do not speak the language. Hip Hop appeals to people of all backgrounds.
- Is Your Tour Bus Wheelchair Accessible?
- Unfortunately, no. At the moment, we do not have a bus that is wheelchair accessible. We are looking into it.
- What Are the Requirements for a Discounted Ticket?
- All children 18 and under qualify for a youth ticket, which is offered at a discount. Keep in mind when you purchase a tickets that those not escorted by an adult are expected to stay with the group at all times, and responsible for sticking with the group. We do recommend that children under the age of 14 or those that have a tendency to wander off come with an adult, but it is not required.
- Do You Allow Videotaping?
- We do allow photography off the bus, but filming and audiotaping are prohibited. Our guides like to be able to speak with you freely and tell you stories that they want coming from them in person.
- Do You Offer Gift Certificates?
- Yes! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Can I Book a Private/Customized Tour?
- Absolutely! We offer private and customized tours for groups, billed at an hourly rate with a minimum of 4 hours. Learn more about our private tours by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- I Have a Coupon Code. How Do I Use It?
- Each coupon code has specific guidelines for use. Some may be for specific types of tickets/tours, and other may be for limited time frames. If you find you are having difficulty using a coupon code online, please call us at 212-714-3544 and we’ll look into the problem.
- Is lunch included in the tour?
- Effective May 1, 2015 thru November 30, 2015 (Saturdays only) the tour is 3 hours and there is no lunch stop.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Winter Months
- Please email email@example.com or call 212 714-3527 24 hours prior to tour date during the months of December - March to reconfirm and receive up to date tour information as the weather patterns fluctuate.
Our vision is to preserve the roots of hip hop culture while offering our guests a family friendly opportunity to revisit present day history. This fact finding tour allows visitors to meet, greet and be guided by hip hop legends like Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Raheim, Reggie Reg. Ralph McDaniels, Melle Mel, DJ Kool Herc and an assortment of others. Customers are taught the true essence of hip hop culture in an educational and entertaining format while traveling outside of the beaten path.
Hush Tours is an active member of NYC & Co., The Bronx Tourism Council, the East Harlem Tourism Board and a City and State Certified M/WBE.