On the four-hour version of this tour, we will be making a lunch stop at an authentic New York restaurant. Please note the the three-hour version of this tour does not stop for lunch.
Travel through classic hip hop terrain on an intimate ride led by one of our famous hosts, including Grandmaster Caz (from the Cold Crush Brothers), Kurtis Blow, Rahiem (from the Furious Five), Reggie Reg (from Crash Crew). Their stories will give you insight into the history and growth of hip hop as you check out some of its most important landmarks, like:
- Hip Hop Revolution Exhibition April 1 - Sept 15, 2015
- Graffiti Wall of Fame
- Harlem World
- The Apollo Theater
- Yankee Stadium
- Famous Murals Dedicated to Legends like Big L, Kool Herc, and More
What Is Not Included?
Souvenirs are not included in the price of the tour. Our participants have the opportunity to purchase exclusive CDs, T-Shirts, and more to remind them of their trip. Please bring cash if you might want to purchase lunch and/or souvenirs.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
The one and only
|Takapiro||Sat, Mar 21 11:00 AM||Male||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Highly recommended for everyone who are interested in hip hop culture and for travelors who want to experience something different. Grandmaster Caz is not only legendary rapper but the amazing tour guide. Everything is perfect!
|Donameche||Wed, Mar 18 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
This tour was very good. Grandmaster Caz was very knowledgeable and gave a good history of hip hop and how it began. He covered the four elements of hip hop . He is very down to earth and has a good personality and not to mention he is an old school legend and pioneer .I recommend this tour to anyone visiting New York.
|maughtner||Sat, Mar 14 11:00 AM||Male||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Wanted to do something different and get all the way uptown. Grandmaster caz is an excellent tour guide who takes you through some really interesting parts of hip hop history. Good times good tunes, definitely recommended. PEACE
|DValadez||Wed, Mar 11 11:00 AM||Male||Under 20||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Great tour guides, and fun sights. Recommended to anyone who loves learning about things they don't know about or hip hop lovers of a lll ages.
GREAT GREAT GREAT
|VIDance||Wed, Mar 4 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
My boyfriend and me booked this tour during our NYC Trip. My boyfriend likes Hip Hop. I just joined. But I was really impressed and it was really interessting and our guide Grandmaster Caz was perfect. We read a lot of him before the trip and to see him on this Hip Hop Historical Places was emazing. We really enjoyed it. It was one of our favorite tour in NYC. And with the New York Pass we got 10% off. That was great to. This Tour is a MUST for everyone who is interessted in music history. The way how Caz decribed everything incl. live performance in the bus, the musicmixes, the food and everything else was perfect. Thank you for nice time we spend with you!
Brilliant journey through the history of hip-hop
|deanmoriarty||Sat, Feb 28 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
A fantastic tour through the history of one of 20th century's greatest art forms. 21st century too. As many other fads - eg disco - have become a thing of the past, hip-hop is as vibrant today as it was in the beginning. Grandmaster Caz is a smart and witty host with wicked rap skills. This is a fascinating tour through some of the landmarks from the birth of rap. Caz was instrumental in the evolution of hip-hop, so while this tour is about the wider art form, there is a personal story behind it. No spoilers here though - go see for yourself!
|Glofton||Sat, Feb 21 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
This is one of the best tours I've been on, I learned do much about hip hop and I'm an African American,
Fun and profound
|aimusic||Sat, Feb 21 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Unspecified||Group of Friends|
I'm not such a fan of hiphop but brought my tourist friend.
But we totally enjoyed it and learned hiphop history was a great experience.
Laugh laugh laughed! smile is the beggining of love and peace!
We are all one! Thank you
Two generations of UK Hip Hop fans...
|danmcgrath||Wed, Feb 18 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My son (16) and I (48) booked the trip, as we both have a love of Hip-Hop.
As a teen I either, listened to, bought and saw in concert all the big acts, from Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, PE, Dougie Fresh, Ice T, NWA, 3rd Bass etc through to Electro (Whodini, Bambataa etc) blah blah, I could go on.
My son, listens to everything from Eminem and Kendrick Lamarr to all the classic artists / tracks as well mentioned above.
So, if any of that resonates with you, go on the trip! Watching Rahiem 'spit bars' old and new was a privilege and the sights, sounds and soul food all worked well.
IN FACT! If you're visiting NY and you're simply a music fan, further yourself by learning about one of the undoubtedly important genres of music to affect generations, charts, radio stations, clothing brands and general pop culture.
If you're not a music fan...first up, why not? And secondly.....Go Anyway, the noodles and pork at lunchtime were choice and the bus was warm and comfortable.
As Fresh as it Gets!!
|asia1nep||Sat, Feb 14 11:00 AM||Female||Unspecified||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
If you are in NYC and interested in HipHop it doesn't get better than this tour. You will laugh and learn and have fun with one of the most official and charismatic MCs in Hip-Hop history, Grandmaster Caz. Whether your a local or from out of town take advantage of the opportunity to learn the secrets of how it all got started!
- Why Should I Take the Hush Tour?
- Hush Tours is the only experience of its kind. It is a comprehensive hip hop tour that focuses on the true origins of hip hop culture 40 years ago, with real celebrity talent as tour guides. Every Hush Tour is its own unique experience, providing a comprehensive overview of the most important elements of the New York hip hop scene. From DJs, MCs, B-Boys, and Graffiti artists, every tour is designed to provide you with a one of a kind opportunity to see a side of New York that not even residents have seen.
- But I Don’t Like Rap. Will I Like This Tour?
- Absolutely. Hip hop is a culture, not simply a style of music. Hip hop culture is filled with an incredible artistic history, as well as a community that has influenced generations not only in New York, but around the world. Our tours have humor, energy, and a stories all their own, and take you into areas of New York that you don’t have to like hip hop music to appreciate.
- Is Your Tour Age Appropriate?
- Yes. We frequently have guests over the age of 5 on the tour, and we are very popular with teenagers and young adults all the way to senior citizens.
- What Age Qualifies for a Child Ticket?
- Child tickets are available for anyone between the ages of 6 to 18.
- Can I Send My Child Alone?
- We do allow teenagers to be on the bus alone. Keep in mind that the tours often make stops, so your child will be expected to stay with the group at all times. Please make sure you provide them with some type of cell phone so that they can reach you, and let us know in advance that your child will be on board without adult supervision.
- What is the difference between the three and four hour versions of this tour?
- The four-hour version of this tour will be making a lunch stop at an authentic New York restaurant. If you choose to attend the four-hour tour, please bring cash, as the place we will be stopping at may not accept credit cards. Please note that the three-hour version of this tour will not be stopping for lunch. Feel free to bring along a snack!
- If a Tour is Sold Out, Do You Have a Waiting List?
- Not yet. Our tours are available on a first come, first served basis. Tours usually do sell out, so we encourage you to purchase tickets well in advance and plan your trip accordingly.
- What Ethnic Group, Gender, and/or Age Audience is Hush Tours For?
- All of them! Hush Tours is the definition of family friendly. Hip hop culture isn’t about age, ethnicity, or gender. It’s about experiencing the birthplace of a movement that has touched future generations. We’re a great choice for those that appreciate both old school and new school hip hop, and if you read our reviews you’ll see that even those that have never had much flavor for hip hop culture have loved their Hush Tours experience.
- Do I Really Get to Meet Celebrities with Hush Tours?
- Yes! Your tour guides are all legends of hip hop, and were themselves a part of hip hop history. Some of your possible celebrity guides include Grandmaster Caz of The Cold Crush Brothers, Rahiem from Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five, Ralph McDaniels, Lady K Fever, Johnny Famous, DJ Red Alert, as well as several others, and there are always surprise guest on each tour.
- Do You Cancel in Bad Weather?
- You know nothing can stop hip hop. Except for snow and dangerous storms of course. We do everything we can to still hold our tours and cancellations are very rare. Expect the tour to continue unless the weather is severe, and call us if you’re concerned.
- Are There Any Other Tours Like Hush Tours in NYC?
- None. Hush Tours is a one of a kind experience. Not only is it the only tour of hip hop history, it’s also the only tour narrated by the legends that have been there. There are other tours that go through Harlem or hit up some of the Jazz clubs, but no other tour provides the same perspective and insight on the total hip hop experience that you receive through Hush Tours.
- Do You Ever Skip Sections of the Tour?
- While rare, we do occasionally need to modify a tour last minute or skip planned locations as a result of traffic conditions, construction, or issues that affect the tour route. We assume no responsibility for access to sites and activities or circumstances beyond our control. Keep in mind that on occasion we’ll also change up our tours on purpose to provide a brand new experience to the visitor.
- Is Your Tour Available in Any Language Besides English?
- Yes, provide points of interest written in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Korean, and Japanese. Unfortunately, our tour guides only speak English during the tour, however this tour is both musical and visual and can appreciated by those that do not speak the language. Hip Hop appeals to people of all backgrounds.
- Is Your Tour Bus Wheelchair Accessible?
- Unfortunately, no. At the moment, we do not have a bus that is wheelchair accessible. We are looking into it.
- What Are the Requirements for a Discounted Ticket?
- All children 18 and under qualify for a youth ticket, which is offered at a discount. Keep in mind when you purchase a tickets that those not escorted by an adult are expected to stay with the group at all times, and responsible for sticking with the group. We do recommend that children under the age of 14 or those that have a tendency to wander off come with an adult, but it is not required.
- Do You Allow Videotaping?
- We do allow photography off the bus, but filming and audiotaping are prohibited. Our guides like to be able to speak with you freely and tell you stories that they want coming from them in person.
- Do You Offer Gift Certificates?
- Yes! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Can I Book a Private/Customized Tour?
- Absolutely! We offer private and customized tours for groups, billed at an hourly rate with a minimum of 4 hours. Learn more about our private tours by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- I Have a Coupon Code. How Do I Use It?
- Each coupon code has specific guidelines for use. Some may be for specific types of tickets/tours, and other may be for limited time frames. If you find you are having difficulty using a coupon code online, please call us at 212-714-3544 and we’ll look into the problem.
- Is lunch included in the tour?
- Effective May 1, 2015 thru November 30, 2015 (Saturdays only) the tour is 3 hours and there is no lunch stop.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Winter Months
- Please email email@example.com or call 212 714-3527 24 hours prior to tour date during the months of December - March to reconfirm and receive up to date tour information as the weather patterns fluctuate.
Our vision is to preserve the roots of hip hop culture while offering our guests a family friendly opportunity to revisit present day history. This fact finding tour allows visitors to meet, greet and be guided by hip hop legends like Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Raheim, Reggie Reg. Ralph McDaniels, Melle Mel, DJ Kool Herc and an assortment of others. Customers are taught the true essence of hip hop culture in an educational and entertaining format while traveling outside of the beaten path.
Hush Tours is an active member of NYC & Co., The Bronx Tourism Council, the East Harlem Tourism Board and a City and State Certified M/WBE.