This delicious and entertaining tour takes place in the heart of Philadelphia and includes 5 stops. Make room: this is not only a tasting adventure, but a meal that includes classic Philly eats like cheesesteaks and cheese whiz fries, tomato pie, soft pretzels, chocolate-covered hard pretzels, and Famous 4th Street Cookies!
Get the scoop on Philly’s food history with quirky stories about how some of these iconic foods came to be, and walk away with food in your tummy and some insider tips about the best places to eat like a Philadelphian. This one-of-a-kind tasting experience brings you to where the locals really eat—low-key, no-frills, independently owned gems that share the uniquely unpretentious vibe of the city. You’ll visit an authentic mom-and-pop pizzeria, a soft pretzel bakery, the historic Reading Terminal Market and much more. This tour is served up with a generous side of humor, Philly history, and a helping of beautiful architecture that includes an up-close look at City Hall—the second-largest municipal building in the country!
We’ll keep you off the tourist beat, introduce you to places locals love, and immerse you in the culinary experiences that have made Philly foods world-famous.
Not designed for children under the age of 10. Contact us for private tours for children.
**In rare circumstances tours may be cancelled due to low attendance.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|kev76pri||Sat, Feb 14 1:30 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The tour was good, the tomato pie was fantastic.
|Bridanfried||Sat, Jan 17 1:30 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
I wasn't impressed by this tour. The food was mediocre at best. We had a pretzel, a slice of 'tomato pie', which was basically a slice of pizza without the cheese, a half a cheese steak (not great, either), a donut, and a cookie. The tour was not terribly informative, but the tour guide was pleasant. I wouldn't do it again.
|evstaab||Tue, Dec 30, 14 1:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
My son now lives in Florida so when he visits we like to see the city....my 9 yo granddaughter was with us and she had a great time too...this was a great way to get get the feeling of what philly has to offer....Judy was our guide and she was great.....I would highly recommend this tour
|ruthanne60||Mon, Dec 29, 14 1:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
Did this with friends and family as part of a Christmas gift. Tour guide was wonderful. Informative but not intrusive. Food was delicious. Fun day!
informative, fun and tasty
|BARRYDKATZ||Fri, Dec 26, 14 1:30 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
The tour was fun, informative and very tasty. The amount of walking was just right not too short or long. The food choices were both the expected Cheesesteak and pretzels to the unexpected, which I will not spoil. It was neat to get some history about Philly other than the Liberty Bell. Our guide, Judy, was very knowledgeable and friendly.
Delicious food with some history on the side
|jbjo13||Sun, Nov 30, 14 1:30 PM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
Excellent insight into some of Philly's unique foods. Judy was able to explain the foods and their history well. She also offered a great insight into the more traditional history associated with Philadelphia. I wish I had taken this tour at the beginning of my stay as it would have orientated me to the city and made it easier to navigate around other sights.
|lhmininger||Sat, Nov 29, 14 1:30 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
What a fun way to learn more about Philly and its food. Well done tour.
|jessbrack||Tue, Nov 25, 14 1:30 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
The tour was so much fun and DELICIOUS! Great balance of food and history....I highly recommend this tour for any food lover especially if you're new to the area or have family visiting! Don't eat lunch before you go because you WILL be well fed!
perfect little adventure
|wrsl141||Sun, Nov 16, 14 1:30 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
Great tour guide who was very personalble and enthusiastic. The food was great and the stops at del frisco and the wanamaker building were a nice addition. Had a great time and have already recommended to other friends who occasionally visit the area.
Philly Food and Fun
|gzlethbridge||Sun, Nov 2, 14 1:30 PM||Male||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Judy was a great tour guide, you can tell she enjoys showing Philadelphia to a group of tourists ( there were four of us from Canada and we love your city!! ). The pace of the tour made it enjoyable ( of course it would have been nice to have a warmer day but still fine ). We really enjoyed seeing the different food outlets and you provide a good amount of food during the tour. Judy also gave us a bit of local history along the way. Would recommend this tour to everyone.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance to guarantee your spots. Tours sell out quickly! Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- What if I have food allergies or dietary restrictions?
- We are happy to accommodate vegetarians, dietary restrictions, and special needs. Please make a note when purchasing tour tickets. We'll do everything we can to arrange substitutes for you. City Food Tours and event participants are responsible for all the food and beverages they consume. If you have any allergies or concerns about ingredients please ask your guide or event leader before consuming anything.
- Are children allowed on the tour?
- This public tour is not suitable for children under the age of 10 years. A private version of this tour, tailored to groups of children under the age of 10, is available. Please call 215-546-1234 for more details.
- If this tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately there are no waiting lists for the tours. Please check another date/time for availability.
- What happens if it rains?
- The tour will take place in all light weather conditions. In rare circumstances such as a heavy snow storm, a hurricane, or other extreme weather and the tour venues can't open, the tour will be canceled. All you would have to do is rebook your tour.
- What places will we go on the tour?
- We will be visiting family-owned shops specializing in delicious, handmade foods. We'll keep you off the tourist beat and introduce you to some of Philly's hidden gems. Please see tour description for more details.
- How much food will I eat on the tour?
- Plenty. You'll be tasting a variety of foods and beverages including tomato pie, soft pretzels, cheesesteaks, cheese fries, chocolate-covered pretzels and cake truffles. Most people find this to be enough food for a meal.
- How is the 5:00pm (evening) tour different from the 1:30pm tour?
- The evening tour, which is offered occasionally, follows almost the same route and includes just about all of the same iconic foods as the 1:30pm tours. The only exceptions are that we don't visit Reading Terminal Market (since it closes early), we replace the soft pretzel with double the Tomato Pie, and replace the chocolate-dipped pretzel with double the chocolate chip cookie (yum)!
- Will I be able to drink anything on the tour?
- Bring a water bottle if you'd like to. There will be opportunities along the way to purchase additional beverages.
- Is there a lot of walking on the tour?
- The walking on the tour will cover approximately 1.5 miles and will be less than 30 minutes total. We will walk at a very leisurely pace, and include several stops.
- Will I learn about Philadelphia on this tour?
- Yes. Our guides have lived in Philly for years! They will incorporate fun facts about the neighborhood you are touring.
- I'm from the Philly area. Is the tour still good for me?
- Absolutely! On our tours you will explore hidden places that you probably don't know about, have the opportunity to meet food experts, and learn many new things about food. You will see some of the coolest spots in the city and experience your hometown in a totally new way.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Many of the stops on our tour are wheelchair accessible, and others are not. However, we encourage anyone in a wheelchair to come on the tour, and we will make any necessary accommodations. Please click "Contact PhillyFoods" to let us know that someone in a wheelchair will be on the tour.
- Do you have private tours?
- Yes, we do offer private tours. Please click "Contact PhillyFoods" to the left of the page to request more information.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Attendance Policy
- **In rare circumstances tours may be cancelled due to low attendance.
City Food Tours & Events
Robert was co-owner of the acclaimed restaurant, Beyond Measure, and graduated from the New York Restaurant School. He has lived in Philadelphia for 22 years and has been quoted on radio and in magazines throughout the area.
Eric has lived in the city for more than 12 years and has appeared on TV many times talking about everything from Aphrodisiacs and beer, to chocolate and blue cheese.